Friday, December 14, 2007

Happy Birthday, Sweet 16!!!


Happy Sweet 16th Birthday, Elizabeth!!!

I have been privileged to know Elizabeth for about 4 1/2 years now. We first "met" when I placed a pen-pal ad in a magazine, and Elizabeth was one of the many responses I got. Little did I know when I read her first letter that we would become such dear friends!


After much prayer we first met 16 months ago when Elizabeth came to visit for 6 glorious days! They flew by, and we had such a wonderful visit! It seemed hard to believe that it was our first time seeing each other, I felt as if I'd known her all my life!


Not long after that I got the chance to go down to visit the Ulmers for 2 1/2 days. It was a much-to-short visit, but it was nice to be able to put faces to names! By the time I left I felt as if the Ulmers were family, and looked forward to being able to visit again!

Little did we know that it would be almost a year later before Elizabeth and I got a chance to see each other again.

Meanwhile we kept busy writing our "books" (40+ page letters) to each other, and keeping up with happenings in each others' lives through the wonderful world of blogger!


Me, Elizabeth holding Jake (my brother) & Emmy (my sister)

This past October Elizabeth was able to ride to Illinois with the Ansons, and we picked her up from there for a much-too-short 2-day visit! Again, it was a very fast, busy visit which included taking senior and family pictures (she is an amazing photographer!), shopping and square dancing! But when Elizabeth left the parting was a bit easier knowing that I would be flying down sometime within the next month, so it wouldn't be quite so long before I saw her again!


Last month I flew down to Kansas for 8 days - only 6 or 7 weeks since Elizabeth had visited. I have so many fond memories from that trip: exciting football games, snow-volleyball, learning how to play spatch and spades, a trip in the bus, loud car-rides, getting "stuck" in an airport for 3 hours, and many more!


Elizabeth & her nephew Justice

Elizabeth has been such an encouragement and example to me! She has encouraged me to strive for a good relationship with my parents, siblings, and most importantly, Jesus Christ. She is a wonderful example of a young woman who is walking with the Lord, and she has challenged me greatly in my walk with the Lord. She is an incredible example of a wonderful sister, daughter and friend. I have been so encouraged and challenged by our conversations, she truly has been my "sharpening iron" (Proverbs 27:17) and I am so grateful the Lord has put her in my life!!

I love you, Elizabeth!
Aliisa

9 comments:

Klahn Family said...

Happy Birthday, Elizabeth!! We miss you!

Love,
The Klahn Family

Bethany said...

Happy birthday, Eilzabeth! I hope you have a very special day filled with wonderful blessings!!

--aleks k. said...

Happy Birthday Lizzy!! I hop your Birthday is REALLY special!

I love you Lots!!!!

Love,
~Aleks~~

Anonymous said...

Oh, how special of Aliisa to do this post!
Elizabeth, you are such a joy to so many people! I am so glad I know you!
May the Lord bless you, dear!

Anonymous said...

Awww.......Ali, you are so sweet!!! You make me want to cry! I was SO surprised when I got on to computer today and found your post!!
Thank-you SO much!!
Love and Miss you TONS!

--aleks k. said...

Happy (again) birthday sweet 16!1

Love,
aleks

Hillary Hipps said...

Happy Birthday! You have been a true friend, Liz! You listened to me when mom left and I needed a friend. Thank you! I never arrange a vegetable tray with out thinking about you!

Love,
Hillary

Crooked Stream said...

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, a happy birthday to you. Every day of the year, may you find Jesus near. A happy birthday to, a happy birthday to you, until you behold His face." (I'm singing a song) ;)
Love, Kami

ScribblinScribe said...

Happy birthday, Miss Elizabeth!