Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day!!!

Silas, Daddy & Phoebe-- February 2007.
Today we celebrate Father's Day!!! A whole day devoted to remembering and cherishing these ever important, special people in our lives.
We Ulmer children have grown up with a Daddy who loves Jesus, and lives his life as an example to his children. Daddy reads the Bible with us, prays with/for us, memorizes scripture with us and teaches us to love the Lord first. He has always put the Lord first, and has lived a life of dedication to Him. Daddy's relationship with the Lord has been an encouragement and an inspiration to us all.
Dad, Micah & Tabitha napping together-- February 1999.
As a very little girl I can remember Daddy rocking me at night before he tucked me into bed; singing praise songs to the Lord. He would sing two songs; we each would get to choose one. I would sit in his lap with my head on his chest and listen to him sing. I don't think I'll ever forget the words to the songs he would sing. I always felt so safe and secure. He wasn't able to sing every night, but the nights he did it didn't matter what pressing jobs he had to complete that night, he was never rushed, but spent that special time with me. As I've grew older I can remember waking up in the middle of the night, just when he was returning from another long shift at the factory. He would come through each room and check on each of us sleeping children; covering us up with the covers and giving us a kiss.

We children (minus Silas) and Daddy; Father's Day 2004.

I've always felt so cherished and protected by my Daddy. If I've had a hard day and need a hug, he is always ready to give me one. When I am sick he will sit by my bed and hold my hand and pray for me. When I am excited about something he will smile and listen to me chatter on, full of enthusiasm. If I need correction He will lovingly chasten me, always encouraging me on towards the right.
Daddy reading to his young ones; January 2003.
Daddy grew up without a Daddy; raised by his mother and grandmother. He never knew the love and protection of a earthly father, and it wasn't until he was a adult that he came to know the love of his Heavenly Father. Because of the love of his Heavenly Father, Daddy has been able to give us children love as our earthly father. The Lord has blessed him to be just the right Daddy that each of we children need.

Daddy with 9 of his blessings; April 1999.

Daddy has always worked many long hours faithfully to provide for our family. Juggling teaching at school, a part-time night shift at the Factory and home mantinence has been no easy job! But Daddy has never complained. He leaves for work each morning with a smile on his face, joyfully serving us.

There are so many memories I could share, stories I could tell, and so many things I could say about my Daddy. I could be here until he is very old with a long gray beard, and still not capture just how wonderful this Daddy God has given me is.

Happy Father's Day, Daddy!!! We Love You!!

Seth, Esther, Noah, Elizabeth, Tabitha, Moses, Micah, Charity, Phoebe & Silas!

3 comments:

~AliisaJoy~ said...

Wow Elizabeth, such an AMAZING post!! What special memories you have - they will stay with you your entire life!!

All the pictures are soo sweet!! Especially the ones when you were all younger. You were SO CUTE!!! (and still are! ;))

Love you LOTS!! and missing you something awful!

~AliisaJoy~ said...

P.S. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, MR. ULMER!! Hope to see you guys soon!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth!!! I'm back! Thank you soooo much for that post you put on my blog! I can't tell you what a blessing it was to me! You are such a good writer, and the pictures are beautiful! I LOVE the last one! I'll admit that I've been feeling a bit discouraged this past week, and this post encouraged me so much! I love you more than I can say!
(((((((hugs))))))