Thursday, February 23, 2006

What's New at Your Zoo!!!!

Okay, that title is just a tad cheesy; but hopefully, it made you smile!!!! :)
This week is rolling right along, and I'm going to try and give you a glimpse of what it has held so far.
On Tuesday Mom went to pick up Seth's new (old) car. It is a 1987 Oldsmobile something or other. It is in very good condition for its' age, and he got a good deal on it. It is rather noisy though, and it reminds me of his first truck, which was so loud you could hear it a mile away!!! :)
After Mom got the car, she drove to Lydia's to help with Paul, who had kept Lydia up all night. Esther took most of the children to town, got groceries and stopped by the Library. I stayed home with Moses so he could work on his nesting boxes for his hens.
Dad was home for supper, and we had a quiet evening as a family.

Yesterday (Wednesday), Esther and I cleaned for neighbors as usual in the morning. The weather was really, really nice on Tuesday, but on Wednesday it wasn't too great. It was a good bit colder with a good, strong wind (the one thing I don't especially like about living in Kansas!) but Esther and I took a walk for quite a while.
Scott and Lydia came over during the evening with Paul and we all 'fought' over who got to hold him. Seth was working late, so he didn't get home until 9:00. Dad was working at the factory and he didn't get home until 10:00; we sure miss him when he works nights.
Today (Thursday) we have school in the morning and then Esther and I are going to Sabetha for the afternoon and part of the evening. Esther will be babysitting for our chiropractor, which she does one or two afternoons a week and I will be quilting.
I just love quilting with these two ladies!! They are 80 and 85 years of age, respectively and the elder one has lost some of her sight of late. They are the two youngest of a family with 13 children but have never married. They have lived together for many years, and have served their siblings and their families in many, many ways.
It is amazing and inspiring to see the things they are doing even at their age!! They still raise a very large garden and put up a great deal of vegetables and fruits. And they are very busy baking treats to send to relatives!! (They are great cooks!!) They are the nicest, sweetest and kindest old ladies you would ever meet.
They have so kindly helped me with these quilting projects, I am just so grateful that they are willing to spend their time passing on the valuable skill of quilting to a younger generation (me, and also they have taught 2 of my older sisters).
Well, I must run and finish school.
Signing Off,
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Hannah Michelle said...

An Ulmer blog - wonderful!

Ah, yes, I remember that Kansas wind! :-)

Looking forward to keeping up with your family a little more this way!

Love,
Mrs. L.

Crooked Stream said...

Very well done, Elizabeth!
I will really enjoy seeing what you all are up to.
Thank you for thinking of me!